Tuesday, March 06, 2007




  1. People’s houses


                            I only had about a hundred more newspapers to distribute that day. I would have done it in half an hour if the kid wasn’t with me. How was I supposed to be quick when I had a child trailing behind me? I was at my wit’s end from telling him to hurry along; you’d think he would listen, but he took his time walking slowly, asking questions and chattering away. Every house was an occasion for him to stop, look it up and down and ask, “Dad? Dad? Who does this house belong to?”
    “It belongs to people.”
    “It belongs to people?”
    “Yes, my dear.”
    “What about this one?”
    “This is one belongs to people too, my darling.
    . “This one belongs to people, too?
    “Yes, sweetheart! It belongs to people. Now, hurry up, move along! We only have a few left.”
    We came to another house. He stopped again and with one hand on his hip, he pointed to another house and asked, “So, whose house is this one, daddy? This huge, huge, house?”
    This time I lost my patience. Why is he asking so many questions?
    All these housed belong to people, my dear! All of them! Now enough with the questions!”
                    “All of them? Wow! People have a lot of houses!”
                    Then I started to laugh because all this while my poor, little boy thought that “people” was this huge giant who had taken over and owned all these houses. I wanted to explain to him that “people” is not one person but a group of persons; that all the inhabitants of a village, or a city, or a country are called “people”; that we, too, were part of the “people.” But I thought the better of it and preferred to leave him alone and not confuse him any further. And anyway, I didn’t feel like being bombarded by more questions. What if he turned around and said, “If you are part of the people, how come you don’t own a house?” And, on and on.  
                  I was lost in my thoughts when he stopped again and eyeing me up and down, “Dad?” What is it buddy?
                  “How come you don’t have a lot of houses? Huh? How come you only have a dark house that doesn’t even have a backyard?” 
    At that time, we lived in the Queen Anne neighborhood. The houses around that area are all fairly large, well-maintained with flowers and shrubs. Of course, we only had a rented basement with such bad lighting that we had to leave the lights on all the time.
    .               “Huh, dad? How come you don’t have a lot of houses?”
    This was dragging on and I was not in the mood for it, at all. So I quickly came up with a trick and quickly changed the subject. I drew my boy’s attention to a cat that was sitting on a fence, a few houses down. Oh! Look how pretty is the kitty cat! She wants to be your friend!  He leaped up playfully and went after the cat and I succeeded in putting an end to the endless and embarrassing questions. This happened about five years ago when my son was only three years old. He is now 8 years old and knows more about life than I did when I was fourteen! Just last week, he came with me to the accountant to file my taxes. On our way home, he rode at the front with me. My kid is usually quite talkative, so I was surprised when he sat quietly, looking quite withdrawn. I called his name a few times but he didn’t respond until I finally I tapped him lightly on the shoulder and asked, What’s going on, son? He stared at me for a few seconds without saying a word. 
    .               “What were you thinking about, son?”
                    “I was thinking about you.”
                    “You were thinking about me?”
                    “Yeah! You see dad, you’re really poor!”
                    This really took me by surprise and hard as I tried, I still couldn’t figure out where he had come up with this one. What did he mean by this? Had he asked for something that I couldn’t buy for him?  
                    “What do you mean I’m poor, my dear boy?”
                      “Because every time that guy asked if you had something, you said you didn’t.”
    Then I remembered my conversation with the accountant filling out my tax forms. 
    “Do you own a house?”
    “No.”
    “Do you own any property?”
    “No.”
    “Do you have a savings account?” 
    “No.”
    “Do you own any real estate?”
    “No.”
    “Do you have any other income, beside your current employment?”
    . “No.”
    . I kind of felt sorry for myself. Not because I’m poor, of course! But because I was the object of someone’s pity! And my own son, at that! “You see, you really are poor, dad.”
    . I squeezed my son’s hand and felt a knot in my throat. I wish I could change the subject as easily as the last time; but this time, there were no cats around!
    .  


Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger anon said...

I’m not sure why the writer of this story decided that this so called ‘short story’ is worth writing about and more importantly it’s worth making public on the internet.
It’s obvious that he is not publishing it because of its literary value either in English or Farsi. The writing as a literature in Farsi or English is that of a basic below high school level.
So it must be the perceived value in the content of the story that makes the writer go beyond and above publishing it in multiple languages and multiple formats (a book in Farsi and Blog in English) to share it with the world.
The writer tries to make it look like an important story by extracting high concepts such as the “clash of classes”, or the unfairness of the system where some people own their homes and some like him are left behind poor. All due to the external unfair social forces.
Furthermore, I’m not sure how the writer claims his story to be about those higher concepts when he is stuck in picking the right words to express simple matters such as the word ’people’ in singular sense!

2:31 PM  
Blogger anon said...

The message between the lines is that of a psychological ambiguity, self-consciousness mixed with lack of self-awareness, lack of skills as a father and at an emotional level and miscommunication between parent and his child due to lack of empathy for the child by a father who is so wrapped up in his own unresolved feelings of jealousy and victim complexes.
In the story, the son sees his father going door-to-door leaving bunch of papers behind each door in the neighborhood. So he is simply asking what the heck his father is doing? He is too young to ask why the heck his father is dragging his little feet with him while working, so he asks simple questions like whether his father knows these people? Are they his friends, is he trying to get in and visit these people? Obviously, he doesn’t know what is it that his father is doing exactly? The father/writer instead of
clarifying the situation in simple words like “my son, these people are my customers, I don’t personally know them. These papers that I’m leaving for them are newspapers. They have information that these people are interested in reading about. After work, they are too tired to go buy these at the store, so they purchased these newspapers and my job is to deliver their purchased goods to them by leaving them at their doors and in return I get paid for my delivery services that I’m providing”.
These people are hardworking people just like me, they are doctors, lawyers, civil service providers, workers who provide services to other people like me in different ways and in return they get paid for their hard work too.
The kid here is not asking about the homes in terms of property, real estate or ownership, he simply wants to know his father is doing.
A skillful father would listen to his son’s questions with empathy and wouldn’t allow himself to get wrapped up in his own bad feelings about his career choices, instead he would take the opportunity to teach his son valuable lessons that he can carry on with him guiding him through his life to make him a more successful person in life, later on.
For instance, even if the kid was old enough to ask about home ownership, a good father would say something like “well, my son, people build or buy homes to live in to raise a family, etc. Some people have enough money to pay and own their homes and some get loans from banks to buy their homes then make payments to pay off their loans. Some people like me rent a home, we pay each month to live in somebody else’s home. Someday, I’ll make enough money to buy a home. I’m going to buy a home too but I have to make money first and that’s what I’m doing, I’m making money by delivering these newspapers now but in the future I’m planning in doing other works or businesses to make more money so I can buy a better home soon.

2:32 PM  
Blogger anon said...

Being poor is a state of mind. There are tons of stories on the news to prove that too. Stories about many divorced fathers who do all kinds of tricks not to pay child support, by cheating on their taxes, working for cash and./or listing their properties under their relatives’ names, reducing their reported income and so on.
Being poor goes beyond lack of money, some fathers are poor financially but rich in their communicational skills in their empathy for their children, in their emotional and social skills that their sons can learn from to become successful in life.
Basically at the end of the story the reader is left puzzled and confused a reflection of how the child was probably left feeling!
One thing that any parent, rich or poor, can do is to provide clarity in the eyes of their children’s minds to simplify life in a way that is positive, demystifying and empowering of their potentialities. This story is a good example of ‘don’ts’ for any parent. Don‘t be like the writer of this story making things more complicated by injecting your own ideologies or complexes that would leave your children confused, paralyzed and puzzled for the rest of their lives.
Perhaps the father (the writer) here has a great need to be a hero of some sort in the eyes of his son and he sees the need to cover his own feelings of inadequacy by blaming them all on the unfair external system, freeing himself from his responsibilities as a father.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I loved this story...it has a subtle quiet brilliance. The descriptives really capture the moments; I can visualize everything perfectly. And, the Author's honest depiction of his son's astute yet heartbreaking observation was one of the most sad yet beautiful things I have ever read.
I am confounded by the negative comments here; the point of the story (I felt) was the Father's anguish over his son's pity. (Not that his son felt sorry for him; rather, that his son had observed and understood these things). It doesn't make sense to tell the Father/writer what he "should have" done or said; that critique has nothing to do with the story itself. As far as complaints concerning grammar, really!?! So, because the grammar is not 100% correct, the story is not worth reading? How short-sighted.

@Anon 1. "The writer tries to make it look like an important story by extracting high concepts such as the “clash of classes”, or the unfairness of the system where some people own their homes and some like him are left behind poor. All due to the external unfair social forces."

The author never made these claims; you are insinuating an idea that was never stated.

@Anon 2."...lack of empathy for the child by a father who is so wrapped up in his own unresolved feelings of jealousy and victim complexes."

The author expressly stated that he did not feel sorry for himself or felt that he was a victim; you need to actually READ the story before commenting.

@Anon 3."Perhaps the father (the writer) here has a great need to be a hero of some sort in the eyes of his son and he sees the need to cover his own feelings of inadequacy by blaming them all on the unfair external system, freeing himself from his responsibilities as a father."

Again, someone who didn't actually read the story. And your assertion that being poor is just a state of mind? I am sure that will be of GREAT comfort to the over 3 billion people in the world that live on less than $2.50 a day.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have to amend my statement that the Father wasn't sad over his son' pity; he was, but I still don't feel that it was for the reasons others have so negatively stated.

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, like Kimsunah, loved this story. I am grateful that she/he replied to anon 1, 2 & 3 so I won’t feel compelled to do so myself.

Since I don’t have children, I am intrigued by the thought process of those so young. I, like anon #2, would have clarified the situation to the son. Easy for me to say, since I don’t have kids.

Looking forward to reading more from this author.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home